Monday, December 11, 2006

THE JOY OF MUSIC


I had my Christmas party for friends and neighbours yesterday. Without the addition of wonderful music it woudl not have been so nice at all. I played The Brothers Cazimero Christmas album. A Dragon Boat team memeber was ther, she had lived in Honolulu as a child and she was so happy to here this music from Hawaii. We shared a few happy memories of the island. I will be there soon.


One of the most ancient satisfaction known to man is music. The brain can now be mapped to see what goos on when we listen to music. Music is language and is a neurological fact. Recent developments in MRI scanning has offered new infromation on how we respond to music. Music has an immediat eimpact that triggers the release of chemicals into the blood stream that creates pleasure. Yes, life would be less special without the wonderful music in our lives.


I gave all the people at my party a gift of the latest collaboration between my friend Sandra Moorhouse-Good, a local artist. Last Spring i spent a few hours writing haiku for her paintings for the book we have planned. We have yet not found time to get together and discuss how the book should look, so in the meantime, i came up with the idea to take a few of her paintings to my printer. He scanned them and added my haiku. They are beautiful. I let my guest each choose one. The cards will be sold in shops.


Christmas party

the cat has a red bow

around her neck


Bottles of bubbly

a pink glow on

my cheeks


Music of Hawaii

colours blue and green

come into my mind


Advent wreath

two candles light

the dim room


Silent night, Holy night

all talk ceases in the

noisy room


Red dress and shoes

after a few hours

pinch, pinch pinch


( i hate shoes and never wear them unless i have to)

No comments: